Here are some “Official” suggestions about blog promotion from none other than Google itself. These suggestions are given at a Google (Blogger) support page. Surprisingly the page looks like that it has not been updated since ages and is blogger centric. Most of the tips are very basic but useful (and some still relevant). Have a look at these (some written as such and some modified a bit):
SEO tips from Google for Blogger Blogs
1. Set the blog to Send Pings: “To get your blog included in various “recently updated” lists on the web as well as other blog-related services”.
2. Turn on Post Pages and Turn on your site feed (irrelevant suggestion as both are set On by default in almost all blog platforms)
3. Write quality content and do it well – “If your “style” is bad writing, worse grammar, no punctuation, and an ugly design, that might be okay for a niche crowd. But the idea here is to achieve mass appeal, so fix yourself up a bit”.
4. Publish regularly
Simple: the more you blog, the more traffic you’ll get
5. Keep search engines in mind: There are a few things you can do to make your blog more search engine friendly. Use post titles and post page archiving. This will automatically give each of your post pages an intelligent name based on the title of your post. A well crafted post about something very specific can end up very near the top results of a search.
6. Keep your posts and paragraphs short: “Strive for succinct posts that pump pertinent new information into the blogosphere. Keep it short and sweet so visitors can pop in, read up, and click on”.
7. Put your blog URL in your email signature
8. Sumbit your address to blog search sites and directories: “People look for blog content at Technorati, are you on their list? You should be. Submit your blog’s url to Technorati, Daypop, Blogdex, Popdex, (all are dead now!!!) and any other site of that ilk you come across”.
9. Link to other blogs: “Links are the currency of the blogosphere and it takes money to make money so start linking” (Hmm great advice!!!)
10. Comment regularly: “Most comment systems allow you to leave a link back to your blog which begs a visit at the very least. So if you feel inspired, leave a comment or two in your blog travels”.
What are your views about the tips? do share here. The original page can be accessed here.